Saturday, February 04, 2006

Make it stop

It's raining. Again.

I know, I know. It's Vancouver, it's supposed to rain. But this is different. This is epic. It's been dark, windy, wet and miserable for more than a month.

I have lived here for six years and it has never rained like this. Even people who were born and raised here are saying the same thing.

We had a record-breaking 29 days of rain in January and February isn't looking much better. It just pours and pours for hours and hours. Heavy, pounding, wind-whipped rain that never stops.

I think it's finally starting to wear me down. I'm getting tired of the never-ending sogginess. I don't own a car so there's no escaping the elements. I am soaked by the time I get to work in the morning and I am drenched when I get home at night. My apartment is constantly filled with wet clothes left hanging to dry. I can't seem to find an umbrella that doesn't flip inside out with the slightest gust of wind. And my bike is starting to rust.

It's not the lack of sunshine I mind. I kind of like dark, overcast days. As long as it's dark, overcast and dry. And while I've enjoyed sitting in my apartment listening to depressing music, sipping Scotch and reading novels about longing and loneliness while the rain beats against the windows, I think cabin fever is finally setting in.

Make it stop.

No comments: