Thursday, November 24, 2005

On the road

You know what I love about hockey? The massive bags. I’ve been packing everything I need for the next five weeks into a giant hockey bag and there’s still enough room for a human body (I tried).

Packing has never been easier. No more agonizing about which pair of jeans to bring. No more folding and rolling clothes to save a few inches of space. No more sitting on top of the bag to make it close. No more wrestling with the zipper.

Packing a hockey bag is like making borscht. Just throw in whatever’s lying on the floor and you’re good to go.

On the downside, my luggage now weighs about 300 pounds. And I’m not exactly sure how I’m going to get it from my apartment to the airport without a crane. But at least I’ll have all the comforts of home while I’m on the road.

By now you might be wondering where I’m going. Hawaii? Brazil? Mexico? Nope. I’ll be spending the next five weeks freezing my butt off in Quebec and Ontario.

The first stop is the United Nations climate change conference in Montreal where part of my job will be to get as much media coverage of the two-week event as possible. Which is going to be a lot more challenging now that the federal government is set to fall the same day the conference opens. I have a feeling the conference will be completely overlooked in the campaign frenzy.

On the upside, that means I’ll have more time to eat poutine and update my blog. I probably won’t be blogging about the conference itself, which is a good thing, unless you’re genuinely interested in carbon sequestration projects, post-2012 Kyoto Protocol negotiations and the debate over emissions intensity vs. absolute reductions. I’ll just fill you in on the really exciting stuff (who’s sleeping with who, who drinks too much, etc.).

A la prochaine . . .

No comments: