Thursday, June 30, 2005

It’s All Gone Pete Tong

I know I said I was never going to another movie again. Okay, I lied. I went to see this movie tonight because I couldn’t wait for it to come out on DVD.

Most of the reviews described it as "Spinal Tap for the rave set." I don’t think that really does it justice. Yes, it’s hilarious and completely ridiculous. But it’s also very dark and even kind of touching. It wasn’t really what I expected.

It was written and directed by Michael Dowse, the same guy who put the Alberta hoser genre on the map with Fubar. So I figured Pete Tong, a fake biopic about a superstar DJ who goes deaf, would be similar. It’s not. It's better.

It was worth seeing it in the theatre. Although it took a lot of drinks at dinner to convince my friend Jenny to come with me to the 10:15 p.m. show. That’s the best thing about alcohol. You can trick people into doing things they wouldn’t normally do if they were sober.

I just hope I don’t regret it when I have to wake up for work in about five hours.